Monday, May 20, 2013

Review : City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (#1)

Hi everyone, I have finished this very popular novel! If you are wondering whether or not to start this book, I hope my review sways you one way or another! Enjoy.

Title : City of Bones (#1)
Author : Cassandra Clare
Published : March 27th, 2007
Pages : 485
ISBN : 9781416914280

Rating : ★★★★☆ 4 Stars

Clary Fray was your average girl in New York, nothing special about her. One night clubbing turns her world upside down. She is introduced to a world she never knew about. There are demons, vampires, werewolves, and much more living beside her that she is now just noticing. Why? Because she is a shadow hunter. A shadow hunter hunts demons and protects the world from the evil creatures. With her mother missing, and an uprising from a shadow hunter assumed to be dead, Clary turns to Jace and his friends to help find her mother and stop this madness. 

This book was actually really good. I started this not liking it so much, and ended up in a bit of a slump as I continued. Towards half way through, it began picking up very nicely. I think I read 100-200 pages in this final day which is pretty good for me. The flow of action and adventure leaves readers wanting more. As soon as you put this book down, you will be aching to pick it back up! The budding romance between Clary/Jace was also something to look forward to. I thought they were so good together, although there is something shocking that happens in the end. It wasn't the book I thought I was getting, but it was really great. All the raves and movie coming out soon definitely made me think that City of Bones would be a no question 5. I did give it a 4, almost 3.5, but I really ended up liking Cassandra Clare's world. 

Oh my GOD, this book ends with a twist that broke my heart. A relationship is pretty much ruined. I was so upset to find out this information! It really made me think about my 4 star rating, but it did leave the reader to think and feel shocked. One thing I didn't like though, was that the twists were really obvious. Clary was so shocked everytime something happened, and I kinda already knew what was going on behind the scenes. Either Clary's just kinda stupid, or Cassandra Clare wrote this for stupid people. Nonetheless, it was a must read. A staple in Young Adult readers bookshelves, City of Bones will definitely be a series that shakes up our world.

So, that wraps up my review! I plan on starting another book tonight and posting a May Book Haul soon. Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment